History, Mission and Objectives
The Nightingale Nursing Education Project in Siguatepeque, Honduras
Introducing Nightingale Nursing School Project
Siguatepeque is a growing city in the central mountains of Honduras at the heart of Central America. The name for the city is the Indian name for “mount of beautiful women”.
Statistics for Honduras:
- 64.5% of households live under the poverty line.
- 41.1% of the population earn less than $1 (USD) a day.
- 83.1% of the population have no health insurance.
From this environment the Episcopal Reverend Vaike Madisson-Molina had a vision of addressing these needs with God’s love. Inspired by the life of Florence Nightingale, she became a nurse and started a nursing school.
The school was started on August 13th, 2011 (the anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s death) with the slogan “Doing Good and Healing…” (Acts 10:38).
The school gives the opportunity to impoverished young village women, with an average 11th grade education, but great character and high motivation, the opportunity to learn much needed skills, serve the surrounding community and provide for their families.
Donate to the Nightingale Nursing Education Project, Honduras
Thank you for your generous gift.
Donate through Paypal with your credit or debit card (you do not have to be a member of paypal to do this) or use your Paypal account.
We are a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization and your donation is tax-deductible within the guidelines of U.S. law. To claim a donation as a deduction on your U.S. taxes, please keep your email donation receipt as your official record. We’ll send it to you upon successful completion of your donation. No goods or services were given in exchange for this donation.
Our federal tax ID number is: 20-5169750.
Spring 2021: Update, Nightingale Nursing School in Honduras
- The construction of the school and training medical and dental clinics is complete.
- The campus landscaping is maturing.
- We are currently gathering donations of money and equipment to launch the dental clinic in July.
- We have launched a new work-study scholarship program in which the students will receive tuition and transportation assistance based on the hours they work to maintain the building and campus and surrounding grounds in the neighborhood.
- We are launching a life skills and money management training program for the students.
Architectural Renderings of the Nightingale School and Clinic by Architect Victoria Delgado
Nightingale Nursing School and Clinic
October 2020 Gallery
2020 Nightingale Nursing Students Doing Social Work Service